A "Fragment" is a part of something - broken off or detached.
Jonathan Prince is fascinated by the reinterpretation of human-made objects, which may give information about the culture of it's creator and/or users.
In essence - the definition of an artifact.
Many of the sculptures resemble objects that we recognize as familiar forms but, remain enigmatic as to their utility.
The "Fragments" may at first glance appear to be a broken portion of an ancient artifact however, further investigation may result in more questions than answers.
• What was the form before it was broken?
• What was it used for?
• What culture might it have come from?
• Is this object old?
• How could this be made by hand out of such hard stone?
• If made by hand, how could it be machined so perfectly?
• Maybe this is not a fragment of any useful object?
His hope is that each of the unlimited questions imagined are specific to the individual observer - In other words - our own experiences shape the questions we ask.